The surgery requires general anesthesia. The patient is completely asleep and unable to feel or move.
- In female dogs and cats, the uterus and ovaries are removed through a small incision in the abdominal wall.
- In both male dogs and cats, the scrotum is not removed, only the testicles. Removal of the testicles prevents production of sperm.
- Females are unable to get pregnant males will no longer be able to father puppies or kittens.
- Female dogs and cats have a mid-line incision in their abdomen.
- Male dogs have an incision just above the scrotum and male cats have two incisions, one in each side of the scrotum.